Subject: Re: port-mac68k/37474: After installing a system, booting into it, and mounting /, I get a message saying that the magic numbers don't match upon reboot.
To: Hauke Fath <hf@spg.tu-darmstadt.de>
From: Thomas Carlson <tcarlson@myback40.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/11/2007 18:37:02
On Dec 11, 2007, at 8:21 AM, Hauke Fath wrote:

> At 12:55 Uhr +0000 11.12.2007, Thomas Carlson wrote:
>>  Booting...
>>  Magic numbers do not match -- Improper UFS partition.
>>  Could not open kernel "netbsd".
>>
>>  Then I tried to boot into the system using the GENERICSBC kernel on
>> the
>>  Mac partition and got a message:
>>
>>  cannot mount root, error = 79
>>
>>  Could this have to do with the hard drive that I'm using?  It's an
>>  Apple 1.3GB ATA drive piggybacked on a SCSI converter card.
>
> Interesting... yours is the first report of somebody trying to install
> NetBSD/mac68k on such a drive. While there may be incompatibilities on
> the SCSI level... how big is your root partition? I dimly recall some
> of the old MacOS based tools having issues with accessing partitions
> beyond 1 GB. That's why I usually put the NetBSD partitions first.

Just for the fun of it I formated the root partition (906 MB) and
installed NetBSD 1.5.3 using the GENERIC kernel.  Everything went fine.
  I was able to boot into multi-user mode... no problem.  It's not some
of the old MacOS based tools that have a problem.  My guess is that
something has happened to NetBSD between version 1.5.3 and 4.0R5, which
is plenty, I'm sure.  Again, thanks for bearing with me on this little
dilemma.

Tom