Subject: Re: Magic numbers do not match?
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Thomas Carlson <tcarlson@myback40.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/08/2007 15:50:04
On Dec 8, 2007, at 11:29 AM, Hauke Fath wrote:

> At 17:11 Uhr -0700 4.12.2007, Thomas Carlson wrote:
>>> fsck_ffs -c2 /dev/rsd0a
>>
>> I reinstalled the everything and, after successfully booting into a
>> fresh system, mounted /dev/sd0a and changing /etc/rc.conf
>> appropriately.  I then ran fsck_ffs -c2 /dev/rsd0a.  Got the
>> message...
>>  BAD SUPER BLOCK:  CAN'T FIND SUPERBLOCK and a core dump.
>
> Hum.
>
>>> should be able to upgrade the filesystem to something that makes
>>> sense
>>> NetBSD 4. Otherwise... you'd need to set up the disk from scratch
>>> with
>>> sysinst.
>>
>> The sysinst installation method is not available to me as I don't have
>> a CD-ROM drive for my old Powerbook 180 and have to install from files
>> located on the Mac partition.  If the traditional method no longer
>> works, it will leave a lot of older machines like mine in the dust.
>> So
>> much for "Of course it runs NetBSD".
>
> Well, you can always boot the installation kernel, have it set up the
> NetBSD partition(s), then do the actual installation from the MacOS
> installer.

Well... I booted the installation kernel and used Sysinst to reformat
my Mkfs created partitions.  Upon reboot, my machine failed to boot
into Macintosh.  It must have messed up the MacOS partition.  I had to
use Macintosh Disk Tools to format the drive and reinstall MacOS and
everything else leaving all but the MacOS partition free.  Then, I used
Sysinst to create a root/usr and swap partition.  Upon reboot, my
machine, once again, failed to boot into Macintosh and it looks like
I'm about to reformat the drive and start all over again.  What's up
here?  Has anyone actually used Sysinst to set up partitions and then
install NetBSD from the MacOS installer?  It doesn't seem to work for
me.

Cheers, Tom