Subject: Re: Magic numbers do not match?
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Thomas Carlson <tcarlson@myback40.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/04/2007 17:11:18
On Dec 3, 2007, at 2:04 PM, Hauke Fath wrote:

> At 6:08 Uhr -0700 3.12.2007, Thomas Carlson wrote:
>>> When and how (as in: What NetBSD version, from sysinst or the MacOS
>>> mkfs
>>> tool) was the file-system created?
>>
>> NetBSD-4.0_RC5.  I used the MacOS mkfs utility.
>
> Uh huh. This sounds fairly similar to a recently fixed issue with old
> filesystems created by the MacOS mkfs tool.
>
> Can you please send-pr the issue? There's a web form at
> <http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/sendpr.cgi?gndb=netbsd>.
>
> If you can boot into an install kernel and drop to a shell prompt,
> something like
>
> fsck_ffs -c2 /dev/rsd0a

I reinstalled the everything and, after successfully booting into a
fresh system, mounted /dev/sd0a and changing /etc/rc.conf
appropriately.  I then ran fsck_ffs -c2 /dev/rsd0a.  Got the message...
  BAD SUPER BLOCK:  CAN'T FIND SUPERBLOCK and a core dump.

> should be able to upgrade the filesystem to something that makes sense
> NetBSD 4. Otherwise... you'd need to set up the disk from scratch with
> sysinst.

The sysinst installation method is not available to me as I don't have
a CD-ROM drive for my old Powerbook 180 and have to install from files
located on the Mac partition.  If the traditional method no longer
works, it will leave a lot of older machines like mine in the dust.  So
much for "Of course it runs NetBSD".