Subject: Re: Framebuffer test kernel
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/31/2007 21:00:47
On Aug 31, 2007, at 7:38 PM, Hauke Fath wrote:

> At 21:37 Uhr +0200 30.8.2007, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>> I've uploaded a very preliminary copy of a GENERIC mac68k kernel[*]
>> with framebuffer+wscons support to:
>>
>> 	ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/jmmv/netbsd-mac68k-fb.gz
>
> NetBSD 4.99.30 (GENERIC) #1: Fri Aug 31 18:02:29 CEST 2007
>
> jmmv@calypso.home.network:/Volumes/NetBSD/obj.mac68k/Volumes/NetBSD/
> src/sys/arch
> /mac68k/compile/GENERIC
> Apple Macintosh Quadra 650  (68040)
> cpu: delay factor 1280
> fpu: mc68040
> total memory = 136 MB
> avail memory = 128 MB
> timecounter: Timecounters tick every 16.666 msec
> mrg: 'Quadra/Centris ROMs' ROM glue, tracing off, debug off, silent
> traps
> mainbus0 (root)
> obio0 at mainbus0
> esp0 at obio0 addr 0 (quick): address 0x355000: NCR53C96, 16MHz,
> SCSI ID 7
> scsibus0 at esp0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target
> adb0 at obio0
> asc0 at obio0: Apple Sound Chip
> genfb0 at obio0: DAFB video subsystem, monitor sense 7
> genfb0: framebuffer at 0xa980080, size 1152x870, depth 8, stride 1152
> wsdisplay0 at genfb0 kbdmux 1: console (default, vt100 emulation)
> wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0
> [...]
>
> -- good work!

Thanks :-)  Glad to know it boots now.  (Marco, you may want to retry
given that it now works for Hauke, in a machine with DAFB too.)

> Colours are light yellow / light pink on white, or alternatively
> white /
> light grey on white, on 8 bit depth; white on white in 1 bit depth.

Will address this soon.

> The colour X server doesn't work, which was to be expected.

Does the current X server rely on macfb?  I mean, did it work before
and does not work with the kernel I posted?

Once we have the "real" framebuffer, we'll be able to use the regular
XFree86 server with the wscons driver as macallan@ mentioned.  I have
given it a quick and hackish try today but haven't got it to work;
but eventually, I hope I will ;-)

> The serial console doesn't work, either. Is that intentional?

Yes, I disabled the serial driver because there was a problem wrt
console handling.  It was attached to the console messages instead of
wsdisplay.  I fixed this yesterday but forgot to reenable the zs
driver in the kernel.  I have uploaded a new one that should work
properly in this case.

Kind regards,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>