Subject: Re: Framebuffer test kernel
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: Marco Trillo <marcotrillo@gmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/31/2007 14:28:21
Hi,

On 8/31/07, Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 31, 2007, at 1:25 PM, Marco Trillo wrote:
> > I tested the kernel on a Macintosh Quadra 700, internal video (no
> > NuBus video card), with both 256 colors & monochrome.
> >
> > When booting in 256 color mode, the screen gets odd colors (light
> > yellow on white)
>
> I somewhat expected that, and I'm afraid this problem will appear
> with all video cards.  I see that Linux has code to handle the
> palette in the DAFB card, so I can look at it to fix this issue (but
> haven't done that yet).
>
> > and then the kernel panics after attaching
> > wsdisplay0:
> >
> > wsdisplay0 at genfb0 kdbmux 1 [...]
> > trap type 0, code = 0xa5, v=0x4947818
> > kernel program counter = 0x1f17d8
> > kernel: Bus error trap
> > [...]
>
> Bleh, that was due to a bug in the match routine of valkyriefb: it
> assumed it could always attach!  Should be fixed now.  Could you
> redownload the kernel and try again please?

I've downloaded the new kernel and booted it, but the Booter gets
stuck after displaying the "So I sez to him" message and quitting the
Finder -- the machine appears to hang. Mac OS extensions were off, and
both 256 and 1-bit color modes were tried. I also tried to enable the
"extra kernel debug messages" option but the kernel doesn't output
anything nor the framebuffer appears to be initialized.

This may be related to something odd I noticed with the old kernel:
when booting it, no messages could be read from the screen before the
kernel panics. The first line that could be read in the framebuffer
was the "wsdisplay0 at ..." message I posted before. It appears to
'jump' driectly from the Booter to this screen, the earlier messages
are not seen in the framebuffer while they are written.

 - Marco.