Subject: Re: Framebuffer test kernel
To: Marco Trillo <marcotrillo@gmail.com>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/31/2007 13:49:15
On Aug 31, 2007, at 1:25 PM, Marco Trillo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 8/30/07, Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This will hopefully work on all machines with integrated video; i.e.,
>> those that previously used 'intvid at obio?'.  It *might* also work
>> with those using NuBus cards, but that is completely untested.  That
>> does not mean that you should not test it in them!
>>
>> Note that this indeed supports a color console!  Make sure to change
>> your monitor configuration in the Booter to 256 colors (recommended)
>> or "millions of colors".  The "thousands of colors" configuration
>> will *not* work yet.  Of course, 1-bit will also work.
>
> I tested the kernel on a Macintosh Quadra 700, internal video (no
> NuBus video card), with both 256 colors & monochrome.
>
> When booting in 256 color mode, the screen gets odd colors (light
> yellow on white)

I somewhat expected that, and I'm afraid this problem will appear
with all video cards.  I see that Linux has code to handle the
palette in the DAFB card, so I can look at it to fix this issue (but
haven't done that yet).

> and then the kernel panics after attaching
> wsdisplay0:
>
> wsdisplay0 at genfb0 kdbmux 1 [...]
> trap type 0, code = 0xa5, v=0x4947818
> kernel program counter = 0x1f17d8
> kernel: Bus error trap
> [...]

Bleh, that was due to a bug in the match routine of valkyriefb: it
assumed it could always attach!  Should be fixed now.  Could you
redownload the kernel and try again please?

Thank you very much!

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>