Subject: Re: EDO (Re: Documentation for graphics cards)
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: None <nate@portents.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/30/2007 11:23:52
> mngrif@gmail.com wrote:
>> I have all kinds of sticks of EDO RAM. Most being 60ns 32MB :D
>>
>> Obviously the big issue is that it's EDO, and I know they work in a
>> Centris 650. Anything else is black magic to me.
>
> Is there some magic to using EDO RAM in old Macs?
>
> The reason I ask is that there's an eBay auction for brand new 64 MiB
> EDO SIMMs on eBay.  Seller has them in bulk at about $1.50/stick.  If
> EDO is known to work, there's no reason everyone on this list can't max
> out all our machines.  :)
>
> But I've always been told you need FPM for Macs.

My recollection is that it depends tremendously on the model of Mac in
question.

For instance, while I can use a single 128MB 72-pin SIMM in my LC475/Q605
and have 128MB of RAM, I can't stick four 128MB 72-pin SIMMs in my Quadra
650 and get 512MB of RAM, because the memory controller in the Quadra 650
can't handle sticks bigger than 32MB.

I'd have to do some digging, but I seem to remember some memory
controllers being tolerant of both EDO and FPM, and others only working
with FPM.

Also, keep in mind that not just any 64MB or 128MB sticks work in
computers like the LC475/Q605, but only sticks with certain bank
configurations and densities.

- Nate