Subject: Re: mac68k minimal requirements?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/30/2007 08:27:40
On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 03:58:53AM -0400, mngrif@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Aug 30, 2007, at 02:58, Andrew Ball wrote:
> > > Is 20 Mbytes enough RAM to boot NetBSD/mac68k?
> > I think so.
> I don't, 20MB might give problems with the install image, since it's a ramdisk.

It's worth trying.  The ramdisk isn't _that_ large since it's using
crunched binaries and a text/curses-based installer.

> > > Is 500 Mbytes a sensible disk space minimum?
> > If you don't need X - sure.
> I ran off a 150MB drive once (no X), it was tight, but it ran. I used
> nfs for swap and /home.

Depends, again, on what you need the space for.  A minimal install
should fit easily in 150MB and even more so in 500MB.  The more you
want to develop, etc., the more space you'll need...  ;-)

BTW, pkgsrc/sysutils/tits is a good, basic telnet <-> serial gateway.

For perspective, the first revision of NetBSD/mac68k was brought up
on a system with 8MB, I think, and an 80MB HD.  If my memory serves.

NetBSD has grown a lot since then, but a stripped-down install can
still be pretty small.  I've run embedded systems based on NetBSD
that boot a compressed kernel+ramdisk out of a 6MB region of flash
on an ARM-based system.

-allen

--
Allen Briggs  |  http://www.ninthwonder.com/~briggs/  |  briggs@ninthwonder.com