Subject: Re: bypassing slow Quadra SCSI
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/29/2007 18:24:58
Mark E. Perkins wrote:
> Some years back, I did some informal benchmarking of this.  Among other
> things, I did a complete system build (1.5.3, I think) using local (SCSI) and
> NFS-mounted from a Q605 (with a full 68040 installed).  I can't put my hands
> on the notes I made, but the NFS-mounted /usr/src was definitely faster.  My
> best recollection is that it was about 30% improvement (in the ballpark of 1
> day vs. 1.5 days, but that's a pretty fuzzy memory on the actual times; I tend
> to remember the percentages more accurately).

Maybe keeping a single copy of pkgsrc for all my machines to build from
makes some sense, then.  (I have a mostly-unused 9 GB drive in a
mostly-unused SGI box; having a reason to keep it turned on would be
great.)  I'll have to look into how to keep output files organized when
doing that, though.  I assume the framework supports this somehow -
work/<platform> subdirs maybe?

Tim

--
Tim & Alethea