Subject: Re: Documentation for graphics cards
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org,>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mzucca@verizon.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/29/2007 07:23:52
>From: "Julio M. Merino Vidal" <jmmv84@gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/08/29 Wed AM 03:07:30 CDT
>To: port-mac68k@NetBSD.org
>Subject: Documentation for graphics cards

>Hello,
>
>I'm currently trying to improve the framebuffer used in port-mac68k
>to bring it into the current century (i.e. full wscons support and
>drop rcons).  I already have it mostly working using genfb (thanks,
>macallan@!), but it'd be nice to improve it some more by using device-
>specific functionality.  Otherwise, colors do not appear correctly,
>for example.
>
>So... as the Mac I have claims to have a "valkyrie video card" (that
>is, the one I can try), does anyone know if there is/have any
>documentation for it?  Do you have any documentation for any of the
>other supported video cards?

I used to work on this but I could never quite get enough time and motivation
to finish the job. However, I can give you some tips.

You're in luck if you want to work on the Valkyrie since there used to be
some code to support it on the PowerPC based 6300 in mklinux. I don't think
there were any HW accelerated ops supported but there was code that enabled
use of the CLUT/DAC, get the attached monitor type, and, I think, change the
color depth mode.

So your best bet to get Valkyrie support going is to grab an old copy of the
mklinux sources for the old PPC macs.