Subject: Re: favorite wm for the low end
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/22/2007 20:56:26
>>> [Mac-style shared menubar, for X]
>> The underlying mechanisms are in place (properties on windows for
>> data transfer, and SendEvent for notifications).  Currently, these
>> are used for things like cut-and-paste (see the ICCCM), but all
>> that'd be needed to use them for this would be defining how to use
>> them for the purpose.
> I wasn't aware of that.

Few people who haven't written low-level X code are. :)

> Funny how people have praised the Mac GUI over the years, but no one
> has made a serious attempt at a unified menubar wm???

Perhaps people have tried, and the attempts have sunk without a trace?

I think the biggest problem would be that you'd need all-new
applications, because existing applications are not prepared to do
menus by talking with a menu manager (which may or may not be the same
piece of software as the window manager), as opposed to popping up the
menus themselves.

Mind you, I don't think this is a good thing.  If we had a really good
OO language to be writing this stuff in, it would help; all you'd need
to do is switch implementations of the "menu" class, and it'd all Just
Work.

Well, if it's done right. :-)

I've seen only one language I think qualifies as "really good" for the
purpose.  (I've heard of a few others, but reserve judgement on them
until I have a chance to work with them.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign