Subject: Re: NetBSD 3.1 on a Powerbook 180
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/26/2007 16:21:33
At 16:56 Uhr -0700 25.5.2007, Space Case wrote:
>isn't there a disconnect nowadays between the
>Installer and current filesystems?

Hm. Arguably, sysinst should run a 'newfs -O0 /dev/rsdXa' on the root
filesystem for an old 4.3BSD ffs, but I don't think the sysinst code allows
for that ATM, nor do I see anything in the mac68k MD bits that would take
care of it.

Apparently, at least the booter is doing fine with a current ffs. (What
about lfs?)

>  When the filesystem version number
>was incremented, the Installer could no longer work with it.  I don't
>know if the installer has been updated to work with current filesystems,

...unlikely. In any case, any spare cycles are better spent on sysinst,
than the MacOS makefs and installer, IMO.

>nor if current kernels can still understand the old filesystem that the
>Installer creates.

They probably can.

An easy way for the OP to check this would be to boot into an install
kernel, then drop into a shell, and manually mount the filesystem set up by
the MacOS installer. A 'file /mnt/sbin/init' should then give an idea of
the problem.

Unfortunately, the Booter lacks the equivalent of the i386 'boot -a' (boot,
then ask for root & dump device, and path to init) and 'boot -c' (tune
device locators, see userconf(4))...

	hauke