Subject: Re: Processor Module for PB 550c
To: None <netbsd@bsdjournal.net, port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: The masked-coder known as Randux <randux@Safe-mail.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/01/2007 16:31:04
From: Bryan Vyhmeister <netbsd@bsdjournal.net>
To: port-mac68k@netbsd.org
Subject: Processor Module for PB 550c
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 00:28:06 -0800

> I know this is a long shot but I came across a PowerBook 550c that
> has a PowerPC upgrade card installed. The original processor module
> is not available. Does anyone have any idea if it is even possible to
> get a 68040 processor back in there somehow? I want to run NetBSD on
> it but a PowerPC upgrade card will not work. Thanks for the time.
>
> Bryan

Hello Bryan,

I also stumbled upon a 540c with the PPC conversion. I should think most people who did the conversion themselves have the parts and if the suppliers who did the conversions are still in business they should also have originals lying about.  From the instruction booklet it would appear that it was one board and that's all. I don't think it should be difficult to reverse the procedure aside from the usual troublesome laptop dissasembly/reassembly issues.

I found that there is a bit of collector interest in these old relics and many sites  with bulletin boards catering for parts trading, etc. I hope you'll find your part without much difficulty.

Why won't NetBSD work on your box with the PPC upgrade card? I was hoping to run it on a similar box myself so hearing your news was a bit of a disappointment.

Cheers,
Rand
hoping to run NetBSD on his rotten apples ;)