Subject: Re: booting from a network
To: Nigel Pearson <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
From: Kazuyuki Inanaga <happyday@pp.iij4u.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/07/2006 17:49:58
Hi,

On 2006/12/04, at 8:10, Nigel Pearson wrote:
>> I also tried "floppy boot", but, my LC475 and Booter 2.0.1a6
>> want some Open Transport Extensions. I can't make System Folder
>> in a 2HD floppy disk.
>
> I seem to remember an Apple minimal boot floppy that
> had networking support in it, but that may have only
> been AppleTalk, and not TCP/IP (Open Transport).

I understand, thanks!

In File menu of Booter 2.0.1a6, I see "Open and Boot ...".
(Booter 2.0.0 doen't have it.)
"Nigel's Home Page" / BSD/Mac68k Booter 2.0.0 and 2.0.1a6
http://www.users.bigpond.com/pear_computers/
It works, but I don't have any idea how to use it.

My silly story.
Last month, I made a CCD box with 2 X 1GB old HDD for /usr/pkgsrc.
That box had one more HDD and 2 big ventilator fans.
... I couldn't sleep at that night because the NOISE!!
(And also, my CCD=interleave was slower than one drive.:p)

Now I have quiet nights with NetBoot (and NFS). Thanks, again.
I'm going to make 2 or 3 NetBoot clients.
There is an interesting "Some space-saving techniques" in
"Setting up the filesystem, Diskless NetBSD HOW-TO".
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/files.html

I worry about network security.
It's not easy work to setup ssh for NetBoot, is it?

On 2006/12/05, at 3:36, Hauke Fath wrote:

> We should probably get around to importing the booter sources inti the
> NetBSD repository...
>
> 	hauke

It sounds wonderful. :)

Arigatou, Nigel-san, hauke-san.