Subject: Re: mac68k Model Support Docs?
To: Gheorghe Ardelean <ardelean@ww.uni-erlangen.de>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/26/2006 19:41:09
At 13:59 Uhr +0200 26.9.2006, Gheorghe Ardelean wrote:
>I am having problems
>installing 3.0 on any 68030 based mac (FTP installation). I am getting a
>lot of errors about .tgz archive being corrupted if the file is bigger
>than a given size (e.g. etc.tgz  installs ok but not the base.tgz or even
>the kernel_GENERIC.tgz despite the fact that MacOS 7.6.1 works without
>problems on the same computer). The same release with the same HDD
>installs just fine on a 68040 based Mac (e.g. Q700).

Check the RAM.

I have lost countless hours with a Q700/68 MB that would run just fine with
System 7.x and NetBSD 1.5.x, but would fail installing any later NetBSD
version, complaining about corrupted archives.

In the end NewerTech's Guru showed me one (1) sticky byte in the 64 MBytes
of RAM, apparently high enough in the memory map that neither MacOS nor
netbsd 1.5 ever used it.

	hauke