Subject: Re: mac68k and bsdstats
To: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
From: Gheorghe Ardelean <ardelean@ww.uni-erlangen.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/26/2006 17:30:07
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006, Tim & Alethea Larson wrote:

> Gheorghe Ardelean wrote:
> > To run the script one has to add the following lines to /etc/rc.conf
> >
> > monthly_statistics_report_devices="YES"
> > monthly_statistics_enable="YES"
> >
> > and after that download and run the following script:
> >
> > http://www.bsdstats.org/downloads/300.statistics
>
> Mine is the Q840AV reported out there now.  :)
>
> How does this work, exactly?  Putting a var in rc.conf regarding a 3rd
> party script doesn't really tell the system anything about what to do
> with it.  Is there a "magic" location for this script that makes it
> respond to the var in rc.conf, or what?

This script has been originally written for FreeBSD. In FreeBSD putting
the script in /etc/periodic/monthly will run automatically this script on a
monthly basis by the system (because the script is there). The script needs
this variables to know what to do and what to send.

On NetBSD one can just put a line in /etc/crontab similar to the one for
monthly (which I see now is commented out) and run it directly from there
or call the script from monthly.local (which is called from monthly) and
activate monthly in /etc/crontab.

Having a bsdstats pkg that automates all this will be nice.

Maybe somebody has a better idea.

Regards,

Johny.