Subject: Re: Basic NetBSD questions on Macintosh Classic II
To: None <swchung@ieee.org>
From: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/18/2006 18:20:44
On Sun, 2006-10-09 at 03:21 -0400, Sungwon Chung wrote:
> Hi, sorry for the previous broken HTML e-mail.
>
> I am going to get a Macintosh Classic II with 10MB memory and 68882 FPU.
>

>    1. Can I use 18-GB or 50-GB HDD with 50-pin SCSI interface ?
>
>    2. Is there any SCSI/ethernet adapter supported by NetBSD ?
>
>    3. Can I run X windows ?
>

> I hope I can do with NetBSD 3.

I was thinking about your problem some more, and I think I've figured
out an alternative solution for your problem.   If you have another Mac
with serial ports (68k or ppc) you can use a Localtalk serial connection
to install NetBSD using the traditional install method.  However, that
still leaves you with a problem as far as networking the Classic II once
NetBSD is installed.

The solution, again, could lie with the serial port.   Using another Mac
or PC as a bridge/gateway, you could do your networking via a PPP serial
line.   Essentially, you'd be setting up a PC or Mac to act as an ISP of
sorts for your Classic II.   Using PPP, you would effectively have a
"dial up" connection to your gateway/bridge machine without actually
having to "dial up" or use a modem.

If you were to choose this route, you'd have to use a null modem if your
bridge machine were a PC.  However, if your bridge machine were another
Mac, a simple Mac serial cable would more than suffice.

Under this scenario, your Classic II would have full network access to
all machines on your LAN/WAN as well as the Internet.   And, since
you're not actually using a modem and a dial up connection, the
throughput you should be expecting on your PPP connection should be
greater than one could expect with a 56k modem over phonelines.   Of
course, I'm making the assumption that your bridge machine is connected
to the Internet through broadband.

Just a thought...  Submitted for your consideration.