Subject: Re: energy-saver for SCSI HDs?
To: Andreas Wolf <aw@seqlab.de>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/14/2006 20:17:16
At 12:32 Uhr +0200 13.9.2006, Andreas Wolf wrote:
>I'm successfully running an ftp-service on my Quadra700 with NetBSD
>3.0.1 now. Fine so far, but since the machine shall be running 24/7 I
>am a little concerned about the life-time expectation of my SCSI-HD.

Generally, spin-{up,down} is supposed to be a lot more stressful for
harddisks than continuous operation - think wear of the bearings, and
temperature gradient. That being said, look for tips on notebook harddisks.
The noatime mount option comes to mind, as disabling cron and any other
daemons that periodically access the disk.

Once you've disabled all this, a 'scsictl /dev/rsdNc stop' (N=0..6)
manually stops the drive spindle. I am not aware of any automagical timer
in the kernel that does this, though.

	hauke