Subject: energy-saver for SCSI HDs?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Andreas Wolf <aw@seqlab.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/13/2006 12:32:45
Hi again,

I'm successfully running an ftp-service on my Quadra700 with NetBSD
3.0.1 now. Fine so far, but since the machine shall be running 24/7 I
am a little concerned about the life-time expectation of my SCSI-HD.
The Quadra is ancient and so is the HD (although 2 or 3 years younger I
believe). Thus I am wondering if there is a package in general and for
the 68k port in particular that will manage a spin-down of the HD
during idle-times. The ftp-server will be accessed once a week or less
only. Most of the time the HD could go asleep. Could anyone give me a
hint on this?

Thanks, Andreas