Subject: Re: configuring se0 device
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Carlson <tcarlson@myback40.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/13/2006 06:16:25
On Tuesday, September 12, 2006, at 07:22 AM, Allen Briggs wrote:
> So the question I have is whether or not the device needs new code
> loaded into it after a bus or device reset.
>
> I think the next steps are to:
>
> 	1) Try booting both with and without loading the MacOS driver
> 	   for the Cabletron.  See if the behavior is different.

I tried booting the Powerbook 180 from a Disk Tools floppy and then
running the installer.  Same problem:  the system couldn't enable the
se0 device.

I also went on a pinging frenzy, Noud:

ping -c2 127.00.1, yes
ping 192.168.2.2, yes, which tells me that a proper IP address has been
assigned to se0, right?
ping 192.168.2.1, nope
ping anything else on the network, nope.

> 	2) Start building kernels to try to see better what's happening
> 	   (or not happening) in the driver.

I am not really in a position to do that with this old machine.  I
think I will delve back into history and try out various kernels in the
archives to see if they would play more nicely with the se0 device
driver.  At one point, according to the manual, the thing must have
worked (1997?).

But, ftp.netbsd.org is on overload right now, apparently.  Maybe later.

Tom