Subject: Re: configuring se0 device
To: Thomas Carlson <tcarlson@myback40.com>
From: None <mngrif@gmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/11/2006 01:10:10
On 9/9/06, Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 11:26:57AM -0700, Thomas Carlson wrote:
> > Sorry about the delayed response
>
> No problem.  You might get a longer delay from me...  :-)
>
> > >     # ifconfig se0
> >
> > se0:  flags=8822<BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
> >               address:  00:00:1d:0d:c8:80
>
> That looks good.
>
> > >     # ifconfig se0 192.168.1.44 netmask 255.255.255.0
> > se0:  device enable failed
> > Sep  9 11:24:26  /netbsd:  se0  device enable failed
>
> And this doesn't.  I'm not sure what's happening here.  I don't
> have an easy way to build a 1.5.x kernel for mac68k at the moment.
>
> Have you tried using it after this?  There's a chance that it's
> complaining, but it looks like it can do this without actually
> returning an error.
>
> > At some point I might be tempted to update the system from 1.5.3 to a
> > later version.  Don't know if there would be any real advantage in
> > doing that on a Powerbook 180, though.  I run Macintosh System 7.1 on
> > it rather than 7.6 because it is faster and more stable.  It also uses
> > much less of its precious RAM.  Isn't that how it would be with NetBSD
> > as well?
>
> There is some bloat, but not as much as MacOS, I think.  There are also
> some algorithmic changes that might give you a little more performance
> with the newer code.  But some of those might need some more RAM, too.
> A lot of the performance improvement is concentrated on larger and
> faster systems.  I.e., handling more web users and that sort of thing.

OK, as far as I can tell, the difference in sizes equates to about
10MB for a base install, so 3.x is a bit bigger. However, 3.0's
schedular makes my Centris *fly*. It's a shell server, but it can
handle the load with no problem. Sure things might be slow, but it's
still very responsive to input. As for memory usage, a fresh boot
mounting /usr over NFS and typical daemons eats up a bit shy of 12MB
of RAM total. With screen, irssi, and a few ksh's, I'm up to 20. Mind
you, I have 136MB in this box and I haven't had to swap anything yet!

If you can cram 32MB in, you should be good with 3.0 and some swap.
Don't be afraid to swap over NFS, it's faster than using my internal
SCSI drive!

> -allen
>
> --
> Allen Briggs  |  http://www.ninthwonder.com/~briggs/  |  briggs@ninthwonder.com

If you can get 3.0 to work, use it! I love it! My users love it!