Subject: Re: Basic NetBSD questions on Macintosh Classic II
To: None <swchung@ieee.org>
From: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/10/2006 20:40:03
On Sun, 2006-10-09 at 03:21 -0400, Sungwon Chung wrote:
> Hi, sorry for the previous broken HTML e-mail.
>
> I am going to get a Macintosh Classic II with 10MB memory and 68882 FPU.
>

>    1. Can I use 18-GB or 50-GB HDD with 50-pin SCSI interface ?

If you can physically connect the drive to the Mac, you can use it.  You
will need an adapter for 68 and 80 pin drives.

It is important to note that you will probably never use 18 or 50 GB of
storage space on a Mac 68k BSD install.   Many of the packages available
for BSD will not successfully compile on a 68k Mac, a lot of the
packages that will compile, won't be useable on a 68k Mac, and there are
many network alternatives  for addressing storage needs on a machine
like a Classic II.

Personally, I would tend to think that even a 4 GB drive would be
overkill in a Classic II.   But to each their own.

>    2. Is there any SCSI/ethernet adapter supported by NetBSD ?

Here's where you might run into problems.   The Classic II has only 1
FPU processor card slot.   There are no PDS or NuBus slots in the
Classic II.  And this probably makes the Classic II a bad choice for a
NetBSD installation.

You mentioned that your Classic II has a 68882 FPU installed, so this
means that your slot is filled.  I am not aware of any other way to add
an FPU to the Classic II, and I don't know if there were ever any
ethernet cards produced that could be used in this slot.  Even if there
were, I don't know that such a card would be supported.

Many of the PDS slot ethernet cards, especially the ones from Asante,
offered the ability to add an FPU through the ethernet card.   I'm
thinking of the MacCon cards specifically, but they required a PDS slot,
which the Classic II does not have.

>    3. Can I run X windows ?

If you can somehow manage to get NetBSD installed on your Classic II,
you can run X windows.  However, the fact that the Classic II has no
easy way of getting ethernet connectivity, will mean that your NetBSD
install will be of limited use.

That being said, you can still use Localtalk and the traditional install
method to get NetBSD installed on your machine.  It will take a very
long time to actually get everything installed, and you will have no
network access once NetBSD is ultimately installed, but you should be
able to run the system.