Subject: Ping and ypbind woes
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Stephen Hurd <shurd@sasktel.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/10/2006 01:58:14
Well, I decided to fire up my little IIci again and fiddle with it some
more.  Got autobooting working, rlogin going, NFS mounts mounted, and
decided it was time to join the NIS domain I use at home.

Set the domainname and frobbed /etc/nsswitch.conf as normal then ran
``ypbind -broadcast''
At this point, it hung like as though it couldn't contact a server.
So, after digging through the manpage some more, I created
/var/yp/binding/<mydomain>.ypservers with a singe line containing the
name of my NIS server.
Stopped using -broadcast.  Still hung.
Went back to nsswitch.conf and discovered to my chagrin that I put nis
first *blush* fixed that and changed the .ypservers file to contain the
IP instead of the host.
Still hung.

Well, maybe it can't connect to that server then... so I tried to ping
it.  No go.  No packets sent no matter how long you wait... which struck
me as odd, so I tried pinging localhost with the same results.

So, do I have one or two problems here?