Subject: Re: Upgrading mac68k CPUs
To: Bryan Vyhmeister <netbsd@bsdjournal.net>
From: Due Process <dueprocess@cogeco.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/09/2006 18:21:24
On Wed, 2006-06-09 at 21:22 -0700, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:
> On Sep 6, 2006, at 5:53 PM, Due Process wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2006-06-09 at 14:03 -0700, John Klos wrote:
> >
> >> As far as speed is concerned, yes, you can put in a faster chip,
> >> but the
> >> speed rating isn't really a big concern. It won't run any faster
> >> unless
> >> you make changes to the motherboard.
> >>
> >> The 575s can be safely taken to 33 MHz:
> >> http://homepage.mac.com/schrier/lc575.html
> >>

> > The LC575 was the first brand new Macintosh that I ever purchased.
> > They run at 33 MHz from the factory.   The page that you link to,
> > shows
> > how to slow the 575 down to 25 and 20 MHz respectively.
> >
> > The LC 575 ships with a 68LC040 that is clocked at 33 MHz.   Many
> > people
> > swap this processor out for a full 68040, which provides the hardware
> > FPU.  The processor in the LC 575 is socketed, so the swap is
> > relatively
> > quick and painless.
>
> I appreciate that clarification. I did notice that when I read
> through the page. In looking at the specs of the LC 575, I saw that
> it started out at 33 MHz. As I understand it, the only non-socketed
> 68k chips are in PowerBooks. Is that correct?
>
> Bryan

There are many 68k Macintosh machines with soldered processors.  I
believe the only '040 based machines with soldered processors are the
Powerbooks.   The '030 based machines are both soldered and socketed.
The '020 based machines are usually soldered.   And, the plain Jane
68000 based machines were soldered.