Subject: Re: configuring se0 device
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Carlson <tcarlson@myback40.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/09/2006 11:26:57
Allen:

Sorry about the delayed response.  I managed, somehow, to mess up the
system and needed to reinstall it , and am now back to the point in the
installation process where I am supposed to create an ifconfig.se0
file.  Here is what the pertinent lines in the dmesg output say about
the Cabletron EA 414 device:

se0 at scsibus0 target 1 lun0:  <CABLETRON, EA412/14/19 D00, 1.00>
SCSI0 3/processor fixed
se0:  ethernet address 00:00:1d:0d:c8:80

Below is what I get following the two commands you asked about.

On Friday, September 8, 2006, at 06:40 PM, Allen Briggs wrote:

> Hmmm...  OK.  If you move the ifconfig.se0 file out of the way and
> boot up, can you post the results of the following two commands?
>
> 	# ifconfig se0

se0:  flags=8822<BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
		address:  00:00:1d:0d:c8:80

> 	# ifconfig se0 192.168.1.44 netmask 255.255.255.0

se0:  device enable failed
Sep  9 11:24:26  /netbsd:  se0  device enable failed

At some point I might be tempted to update the system from 1.5.3 to a
later version.  Don't know if there would be any real advantage in
doing that on a Powerbook 180, though.  I run Macintosh System 7.1 on
it rather than 7.6 because it is faster and more stable.  It also uses
much less of its precious RAM.  Isn't that how it would be with NetBSD
as well?  A recommendation from someone who knows more than I do would
be appreciated.

Tom