Subject: Re: configuring se0 device
To: Thomas Carlson <tcarlson@myback40.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/09/2006 16:18:46
On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 11:26:57AM -0700, Thomas Carlson wrote:
> Sorry about the delayed response

No problem.  You might get a longer delay from me...  :-)

> >	# ifconfig se0
>
> se0:  flags=8822<BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
> 		address:  00:00:1d:0d:c8:80

That looks good.

> >	# ifconfig se0 192.168.1.44 netmask 255.255.255.0
> se0:  device enable failed
> Sep  9 11:24:26  /netbsd:  se0  device enable failed

And this doesn't.  I'm not sure what's happening here.  I don't
have an easy way to build a 1.5.x kernel for mac68k at the moment.

Have you tried using it after this?  There's a chance that it's
complaining, but it looks like it can do this without actually
returning an error.

> At some point I might be tempted to update the system from 1.5.3 to a
> later version.  Don't know if there would be any real advantage in
> doing that on a Powerbook 180, though.  I run Macintosh System 7.1 on
> it rather than 7.6 because it is faster and more stable.  It also uses
> much less of its precious RAM.  Isn't that how it would be with NetBSD
> as well?

There is some bloat, but not as much as MacOS, I think.  There are also
some algorithmic changes that might give you a little more performance
with the newer code.  But some of those might need some more RAM, too.
A lot of the performance improvement is concentrated on larger and
faster systems.  I.e., handling more web users and that sort of thing.

-allen

--
Allen Briggs  |  http://www.ninthwonder.com/~briggs/  |  briggs@ninthwonder.com