Subject: Re: XDM setup
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/09/2006 07:44:33
Hauke Fath wrote:
> At 4:23 Uhr -0500 9.9.2006, Tim & Alethea Larson wrote:
>> I gave it a try tonight.  Your makefile didn't work for me - I don't
>> have the bsd.prog.mk file nor cvs on my system.
>
> That is probably because you didn't install the comp.tgz tarball?

That is correct.  I have only a small-ish disk in this machine, so
didn't include anything not absolutely essential going forward.  I
suppose it makes sense that I wouldn't have the make tools...didn't
think of that late last night when I was doing it though.

>> But, it still didn't work.  Then I noticed that your xdm-config
>> referenced the "new style" /etc paths while my system has the "old
>> style" /usr/X11R6 paths.  So I changed them all and rebooted again.
>
> I'd recommend going with /etc/X11 because installing xetc.tgz will
> overwrite your setup. It happened to me.  ;)

That's true enough...simply keeping myself from being clobbered later
would be a worthwhile reason.

>> I don't like the xconsole so I commented that out,
>
> It is there to catch any console output that would otherwise mess up the
> graphical screen.

I figured as much.  I discovered xconsole when I was looking for ways to
keep my screen from getting mucked up, too.  IIRC, I chose to change
some of those alerts to be logged instead.

>> and
>> the NetBSD flag xpm isn't showing up.  Maybe the CC screen is too small?
>
> Could be... is that 512x384 pixels? The xpm is auto-positioned, and if

That's correct.

> there's not enough room for it, maybe it is simply omitted. I'll have to
> try out the setup on my SE/30. Make sure, though, that you are using the
> replacement xpm files instead of the NetBSD ones (assuming you are working
> with NetBSD [23]).

Can I use smaller (physical dimension) xpm files, so I can try to fit in
a graphical element?

>>  Anyway, on to figuring out how to log into other machines through the
>> GUI!  :)
>
> The easiest way to run a remote X client would be a 'ssh -X $remotehost
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm', although it may be slow between mac68k machines.
> 'ssh -1' is a bit faster.

My idea was for this box to be effectively an X terminal with the option
for local login as well.  The CC has a nice, small footprint, and would
be a good complement for my collection of headless servers.

>> Is it possible to change the size of the prompting text used, or
>> shrinking this dialog some other way?
>
> The Xresources file
> http://la.causeuse.org/hauke/macbsd/xdm/xdm-scripts/Xresources controls
> that for the xdm greeter:
>
> [...]
>  xlogin.Login.width: 500
>  xlogin*font: -b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-14-*-75-75-*-*-iso8859-1
>  xlogin*greetFont: -b&h-lucida-bold-r-normal-sans-24-*-75-75-*-*-iso8859-1
>  xlogin*promptFont: -b&h-lucida-bold-r-normal-sans-14-*-75-75-*-*-iso8859-1
>  xlogin*failFont: -b&h-lucida-bold-r-normal-sans-14-*-75-75-*-*-iso8859-1
> [...]
>
> You can use xfontsel(1) to make up other font strings. For a 512x384
> compact Mac screen, you will most likely want smaller font sizes.

I knew I'd seen definitions for this somewhere, I just couldn't find it
last night when I needed it.  Thanks, I'll try that.

Tim

--
Tim & Alethea
christtrek.org