Subject: Re: XDM setup
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/09/2006 04:23:12
Hauke Fath wrote:
> That depends on what you intend to do. The tarball has my complete xdm
> setup files which give you a local XDM login, and the existing explanations
> describe the details. You might just try it out, and get back to me with
> any bits that you found unclear or lacking.

I gave it a try tonight.  Your makefile didn't work for me - I don't
have the bsd.prog.mk file nor cvs on my system.

But, it seemed apparent what I had to do.  So I manually copied the
relevant files to the appropriate places, and set ownership and
permissions like the files they replaced.  Then rebooted.

But, it still didn't work.  Then I noticed that your xdm-config
referenced the "new style" /etc paths while my system has the "old
style" /usr/X11R6 paths.  So I changed them all and rebooted again.

It worked great!  I don't like the xconsole so I commented that out, and
the NetBSD flag xpm isn't showing up.  Maybe the CC screen is too small?
  Anyway, on to figuring out how to log into other machines through the
GUI!  :)

Is it possible to change the size of the prompting text used, or
shrinking this dialog some other way?

> What's missing is (a) how to set up xdmp access over the network - you get
> a browser for remote xdm instances then, and can select a remote machine to
> run its session on the local X server, and (b) the alternative of
> displaying clients within the local session by starting them either through
> rsh(1) (for an isolated, secure home network), or ssh(1) and the assorted
> key management.
>
> I haven't done the former, because I do not see the need, and it is
> obviously insecure without something like Kerberos. For the latter, there
> is quite a bit of information available on the web, and the modified
> Xsession script already contains the relevant bits for ssh-askpass and
> friends.

Thanks,
Tim
--