Subject: Re: 3.0.1 SE/30 & IIci init problem
To: Bryan Vyhmeister <netbsd@bsdjournal.net>
From: Marco Trillo <marcotrillo@gmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/08/2006 18:09:46
Hi,

Try to reboot into single-user mode (check the bok in the Booter
options) and fix it from here (note that you might need to mount the
/usr partition manually to get access to /usr/bin -- to use an editor
-- and, if you want to use vi(1), set the TERM environment variable).

HTH,
Marco

On 9/8/06, Bryan Vyhmeister <netbsd@bsdjournal.net> wrote:
> On Sep 8, 2006, at 9:01 AM, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:

> >> Thanks for that pointer. Now that I re-read that section I
> >> realized that I did come across that earlier but I have always
> >> used the traditional install method and I didn't really pay close
> >> attention to the sysinst method. The install is proceeding fine
> >> using sysinst and sets from CD-ROM. I'll know in the morning if it
> >> worked.
> >
> > Well, the install worked and I'm not seeing the init problem after
> > using sysinst with the workaround. However, the root file system is
> > root_device and mounted read-only. I can't remount it with mount -
> > rw / so I am rebooting to use the installer mini-shell. The correct
> > entry for the root file system is commented out in /etc/fstab like
> > someone mentioned sometime in recent history (I read through
> > approximately two years of the port-mac68k archives last night and
> > I don't know where I saw it). I am going to attempt to use the mini-
> > shell from the installer to fix this.
> >
> > The other problem I am dealing with is that every time I use the
> > reboot command on the SE/30, I get a kernel panic that mentions
> > both a uvm_fault and an MMU fault trap. I get this every single
> > time I reboot in 3.0.1. Any ideas?
>
> I just tried pulling up the Installer application to use the mini-
> shell to correct the fstab entry and I get the following message
> after SCSI detection:
>
> /: bad dir ino 2 at offset 0: mangled entry
> bad dir
>
> Bryan

Marco Trillo
marcotrillo@gmail.com