Subject: configuring se0 device
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Carlson <tcarlson@myback40.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/08/2006 05:05:32
Glad to see the mac68k list is getting some action again.

My old Powerbook 180 has been running NetBSD 1.5.3 for a while now
(can't get later kernels to boot), but  I have never been able to
connect the machine to my LAN because of its lack of an ethernet port.
Recently I was able to acquire (for $20!) a Cabletron EA414
SCSI-ethernet adapter which works fine through Macintosh System 7.1.
There has been a driver for this device built into the generic kernel
since at least version 1.5.  When I boot the system it recognizes the
device correctly:

se0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun0:  <ASTX, AXSITS2532A 011E, A73A> SCSI2
0/direct fixed
se0:  ethernet address 00:00:1d:c8:80

Can't seem to get it configured right, though.  I followed Matthew
Theobald's installation guide correctly, including the creation of an
/etc/ifconfig.se0 file, but keep getting:

Configuring network interfaces:  se0se0:  device enable failed

What am I doing wrong here?

Tom