Subject: Re: ftp server for 3.0.1
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: None <yancm@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/08/2006 06:00:50
Hi Andreas,

You don't say who or how many you want to serve with ftp or wether
it will be on an intranet or the internet(tm). These are
all possible, but implementation results may vary and carries
some security risks, that's why it's disabled by default.

So you have been warned...

NetBSD has it's own built-in ftp server, but it's disabled by default
as I say above.

As I recall, to enable you need to perform at least the following:

1) In /etc/rc.conf, you need a line:
inetd=YES               inetd_flags="-l"        # -l logs libwrap

2) In /etc/inetd.conf, you need to uncomment the line like:
ftp             stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/ftpd
ftpd -ll -V -

3) in /etc/ftpusers, you need an allow line for users who are allowed to
actually use ftp:
some-user           allow

4) Now restart the inetd to use the new settings:
/etc/rc.d/inetd restart

For documentation start with
man ftp
man inetd