Subject: Re: 3.0.1 SE/30 & IIci init problem
To: None <khym@azeotrope.org>
From: Bryan Vyhmeister <netbsd@bsdjournal.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/07/2006 23:10:57
On Sep 7, 2006, at 10:05 AM, khym@azeotrope.org wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 12:18:43AM -0700, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:
>> The SE/30 install with the 20060902 snapshot resulted in the
>> identical init error. Do you want the results of ls /libexec and ls /
>> lib from the 20060902 install or should I attempt a reinstall of
>> 3.0.1?
>
> The results from the 20060902 install will be fine. Thanks!

Because of hardware difficulties, I am back installing 3.0.1 with
sysinst on the SE/30. I'll try again with the IIci if I can get it up
and running. It may be the same deal with sysinst which would be nice
to know as well. I'll let you know either way.

>> Quadra 650. I have a number of the 4 GB drives so I guess I'll try
>> another one. I am wondering if using an SCA adapter would cause
>> problems.
>
> I wouldn't expect any problems if the termination is OK (ensure the
> upper 8 bits are terminated), but I don't have any personal experience
> with using SCA drives on a 68k Mac; I've only used them on PCs with a
> wide SCSI card.

I'm not sure how this works. The instructions say nothing about
terminating the upper eight bits. There is an four position jumper
block that sets the ID. 0000 is SCSI ID 0 and 1111 which is ID 15.
Various combinations make the rest of the IDs. I am guessing that the
adapter should work right the way it is. I'll have to figure out if
it is just lousy hard drives or something else. I think I have some
other drives around that I could use.

Bryan