Subject: Re: Upgrading mac68k CPUs
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/07/2006 08:44:46
Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:
> Since I can't seem to find a reasonably priced 68060-based system out
> there, I am looking at the CPU upgrade possibilities for 68k Macs. I
> have been reading FAQs all over the place about upgrading Mac CPUs. I
> have read that you can easily swap a 68LC040 out and put a 68040 in its
> place. I have not found a clear answer on one thing though. Can I put a
> faster 68040 chip in place of a slower 68LC040 chip? I just purchased an
> LC 575 motherboard for my Color Classic (which now has a Color Classic
> II board in it) and I want to replace its processor with a full 68040.
> It now has a 33 MHz 68LC040 and I want to put in a 40 MHz 68040. Would
> that work? I am thinking it will not but I am hoping it will. If that
> would work than I assume I could upgrade my Quadra 650s to 40 MHz 68040
> chips as well.

That's exactly what I did.  I cobbled one working Q840 out of two, and
used the spare processor for my Mystic.  Works great.  It still only
_runs_ at 33MHz (that's dictated by the oscillator, not the chip) but
there's no real voodoo involved.

The real trick is using a slower-rated chip at faster speeds -
overclocking.  It doesn't always work.  The chip has been proven at its
rated speed.  It might actually be capable of higher, but you never know.

Tim

--
Tim & Alethea
christtrek.org