Subject: Re: XDM setup
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/07/2006 08:59:51
Hauke Fath wrote:
> That depends on what you intend to do. The tarball has my complete xdm
> setup files which give you a local XDM login, and the existing explanations
> describe the details. You might just try it out, and get back to me with
> any bits that you found unclear or lacking.

I'll give it a shot.  I don't know when, but I'll try it out.

> What's missing is (a) how to set up xdmp access over the network - you get
> a browser for remote xdm instances then, and can select a remote machine to
> run its session on the local X server, and (b) the alternative of
> displaying clients within the local session by starting them either through
> rsh(1) (for an isolated, secure home network), or ssh(1) and the assorted
> key management.
>
> I haven't done the former, because I do not see the need, and it is
> obviously insecure without something like Kerberos. For the latter, there

Obvious to you, perhaps.  I have no idea what you're talking about.  :)
  Well to be specific, I understand why it is insecure (X11 in general)
but don't really know what Kerberos does.

> is quite a bit of information available on the web, and the modified
> Xsession script already contains the relevant bits for ssh-askpass and
> friends.

I'll have to track that down.  If there is a "definitive" site for this
info, a link would be appreciated.  Google is nice, but you can't trust
everything on the web.

> Most people running NetBSD/mac68k these days seem to browse the web from
> other machines, including yours truly.  ;)

What?!?!  Sacrilege!  :D

Tim

--
Tim & Alethea