Subject: Re: Upgrading mac68k CPUs
To: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
From: Due Process <dueprocess@cogeco.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/06/2006 20:53:28
On Wed, 2006-06-09 at 14:03 -0700, John Klos wrote:

> As far as speed is concerned, yes, you can put in a faster chip, but the
> speed rating isn't really a big concern. It won't run any faster unless
> you make changes to the motherboard.
>
> The 575s can be safely taken to 33 MHz:
> http://homepage.mac.com/schrier/lc575.html

The LC575 was the first brand new Macintosh that I ever purchased.
They run at 33 MHz from the factory.   The page that you link to, shows
how to slow the 575 down to 25 and 20 MHz respectively.

The LC 575 ships with a 68LC040 that is clocked at 33 MHz.   Many people
swap this processor out for a full 68040, which provides the hardware
FPU.  The processor in the LC 575 is socketed, so the swap is relatively
quick and painless.