Subject: Upgrading mac68k CPUs
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Bryan Vyhmeister <netbsd@bsdjournal.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/06/2006 01:36:28
Since I can't seem to find a reasonably priced 68060-based system out
there, I am looking at the CPU upgrade possibilities for 68k Macs. I
have been reading FAQs all over the place about upgrading Mac CPUs. I
have read that you can easily swap a 68LC040 out and put a 68040 in
its place. I have not found a clear answer on one thing though. Can I
put a faster 68040 chip in place of a slower 68LC040 chip? I just
purchased an LC 575 motherboard for my Color Classic (which now has a
Color Classic II board in it) and I want to replace its processor
with a full 68040. It now has a 33 MHz 68LC040 and I want to put in a
40 MHz 68040. Would that work? I am thinking it will not but I am
hoping it will. If that would work than I assume I could upgrade my
Quadra 650s to 40 MHz 68040 chips as well.

Bryan