Subject: Re: 3.0.1 SE/30 & IIci init problem
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Bryan Vyhmeister <netbsd@bsdjournal.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/05/2006 20:25:30
On Sep 5, 2006, at 7:48 PM, khym@azeotrope.org wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 06:08:16PM -0700, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:
>> I was using NetBSD 1.6 on an SE/30, IIci, and Quadra 650. That was
>> several years ago and much has happened since then. I thought I
>> should bring my machines up to date and get back involved in the
>> community but I am unable to get NetBSD/mac68k 3.0.1 running because
>> it fails on bootup with the /sbin/init error 8 problem. I found some
>> references to this problem on the mailing list earlier this year but
>> I didn't see a solution other than go back to 1.6 or 2.x. Any ideas?
>
> Did you install a complete NetBSD 3.0 distribution, or did you just
> try
> to boot a NetBSD 3.0 kernel on your existing 1.6 system? Also, which
> kernel are you using? (GENERIC, GENERICSBC, a customer kernel,
> etc...?)

I installed the complete NetBSD/mac68k 3.0.1 distribution using the
traditional method with Mkfs, the installer, and so forth. I used the
GENERICSBC kernel.

> Also, have you tried one of the INSTALL kernels? I don't
> think they actually work for installing, but I think
> they should at least boot all the way and start sysinst.
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-3.0/mac68k/netbsd-INSTALL.gz
> or netbsd-INSTALLSBC.gz depending on which SCSI driver you need.

I attempted the INSTALLSBC kernel on the Color Classic, but that was
the only machine. I read somewhere that sysinst cannot install to the
correct partition or something. Maybe that is no longer the case. I
can't remember where I read it at who knows when last night (this
morning).

Bryan