Subject: keyboard map for alt key?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeffrey Loren Shaw <shawjef3@msu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/08/2006 13:00:20
I'm proud to say that I have NetBSD up and running on my quadra 840av. It's
really beautiful! X works, although only in B&W. But hey, at least it runs
without any trouble. I also have some of my favorite packages installed
thanks to pkgsrc and Greg Oster.

One of the packages I installed is emacs, with the intended purpose that
I'll be using it to do some coding. As you may know, emacs makes extensive
use of the control and meta (alt/option) keys. Unfortunately my mac's alt
key doesn't seem to work in NetBSD. I've done some digging around, and found
that the tool one would normally use to change keymappings, wsconsctl,
doesn't work. It complains that /dev/wskbd doesn't exist. I'm thinking I
remember that the kernel uses /dev/adb0 or something like that for the
keyboard, so I can't say I'm too suprised.

Getting back to X for a moment, I recall that I used to do ctrl-alt-delete
to exit X sessions. Obviously this doesn't work for me. I don't remember any
other way to exit X so for now I'm unable to use X.

This leads me to the question, do any of you know how to get the apple key
or option key on my mac extneded keyboard to work as the meta key in emacs?
I've seen some tips that the keymap is compiled into the kernel. I hope I
don't have to compile a new kernel just to get a keyboard key to work; I
think my poor 840av would cry if I asked it to compile that much.

Thanks,
Jeff