Subject: Re: 840av boot troubles
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeffrey Loren Shaw <shawjef3@msu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/06/2006 11:18:14
What I discovered was that the formatting of the drive on the Jackhammer
card was buggy! I'd formatted it with FWB Hard disk toolkit (something like
that) and who knows why, but the darn drive, formatted by that tool,
wouldn't let my computer restart, shutdown, or load netbsd. Dragging that
drive's mac partition to the trash solved the problem. So I reformatted the
drive with different software and now my 840av works beautifully.

I reinstalled NetBSD but the booter thinks that my netbsd partition is not
actually a netbsd partition. It tells me the magic numbers don't match.
Looking back through the list archive, it looks like I have to make NetBSD
come before any mac partition on the drive.

Currently my netbsd Root & Usr partition is around 1.8gb into the drive.
I'll make it the first partition reinstall and see if booter can see it.

PS I guess I haven't made this clear in the past posts. My 840av has two
hard drives. One on the jackhammer scsi card that is 2gb, and one on the
mac's internal scsi that is the Atlas. The atlas is the one I'm installing
netbsd to.