Subject: Re: powerbook duo 250 needed for loan to get supported?
To: nick thompson <nicholas.thompson1@mchsi.com>
From: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/30/2006 15:19:04
On Tue, 2006-30-05 at 05:56 -0500, nick thompson wrote:

> William Duke wrote:
> > Oh, that's too bad.  I keep forgetting that most people don't live in a
> > Mac graveyard like I do. :)
> >
> > So anyway, what do you plan on using your 68k Mac for?  It appears that
> > you're willing to endure a whole lot of aggravation to install NetBSD on
> > your Duo, so you must have something special in mind.
> >

> William,
>  Well, I was first interested in getting it up and reviving it to see if
> it had the specs needed for porting to it... turns out it has 540 mb
> disk not 60 so nice, and has like 57 MB of ram (don't ask me how) but
> anyway, since it seems no devs have said "I'd like to borrow it isn't
> supported" I would be more than happy to put it to greater use that way,
> but since nobody has, I will use it through serial.... It came w/ a nice
> NEC monitor (I think 17") and so anyway... long story longer... I want
> to do it because I can.

Do it because you can...   Ya know, a few years back I did something
just because I could, and I got myself in a whole heap of trouble for
it.   It turned out that there were these people that didn't like what I
was doing, and they took advantage of some unwritten laws to stop me
doing what it was that I'm doing.

Now, after several years of doing nothing, I'm ready to do it again...
Only this time, I'm not just doing it because I can, I'm doing it
because it has to be done.   And while some may see me as the crazy one,
most see genius, because those who are crazy enough to think that they
can change the world, are the ones that do.

Sorry, I had to take this opportunity to exploit an old Apple
commercial.

Anyway, I know what you mean.   I first started playing with NetBSD and
Linux for something to do...  I wanted something different to break the
monotiny and boredom of everyday computing existence.   It turns out
that I happen to prefer *nix better than anything else that I've
previously used, so it all worked out for the best.