Subject: Re: powerbook duo 250 needed for loan to get supported?
To: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
From: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/30/2006 09:49:11
Hi,

In my case they are just unix files.  You also get a .AppleDouble directory
which holds the resource fork.

Hmmm, I don't really know what happens (on NetBSD) in my case when
you have odd file characters.  It seems they did think about it thouhg:

From http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/2.0/htmldocs/AppleVolumes.default.5.html

With OS X Apple introduced the AFP3 protocol. One of the most
important changes was that AFP3 uses unicode names encoded as UTF-8
decomposed. Previous AFP/OS versions used codepages, like MacRoman,
MacCentralEurope, etc.

afpd needs a way to preserve extended macintosh characters, or
characters illegal in unix filenames, when saving files on a unix
filesystem. Earlier versions used the the so called CAP encoding. An
extended character (>0x7F) would be converted to a :xx sequence,
e.g. the Apple Logo (MacRoman: 0XF0) was saved as :f0. Some special
characters will be converted as to :xx notation as well. '/' will be
encoded to :2f, if -usedots is not specified, a leading dot '.' will
be encoded as :2e.

This version now uses UTF-8 as the default encoding for names. Special
characters, like '/' and a leading '.' will still be CAP style encoded