Subject: Re: powerbook duo 250 needed for loan to get supported?
To: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/30/2006 05:35:22
On Tue, 2006-30-05 at 08:37 +0000, Bruce O'Neel wrote:
> While I can't state 100% for Gentoo, I run netatalk on my sparc NetBSD
> systems and my 68k macs have no idea that there isn't a real mac
> there.  Works perfectly.

I've been curious about netatalk, but not curious enough to do any
research.   When you use netatalk on a *nix box, whether it be BSD or
Linux, do you create an HFS partition for the Appletalk volume, or do
you just store your Mac files on a plain ol' *nix partition?

Reason I ask:   Filenames.   You can't have all those wonderful extra
characters in *nix filenames, not like on the Mac.   So do you have to
give all of your Mac files *nix conforming filenames?

Presently, I'm just using FTP to move files from my Mac OS computers to
my *nix machines, but if netatalk isn't too much of a hassle, I might
consider that.