Subject: XDM setup, was: console messages in X screwing up the screen
To: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/29/2006 00:27:26
At 19:27 Uhr -0500 27.5.2006, Tim & Alethea Larson wrote:
>Hauke Fath wrote:
>> Hm... I set up a slip connection years ago to install NetBSD on an old '486
>> notebook, and I still have that around. I even thought about writing a
>> how-to at the time, but never got around to doing it... give me a few days,
>> ok? Tim Larson was first with his xdm setup...
>
>If you know of a good site that explains things at a beginner level,
>that would probably be fine.  I don't mind learning on my own, as long
>as I can follow the guide.  It's just that the first sites that come up
>on Google (like the standard howtos) expect a certain level of X
>competence that I don't quite have yet.

Please take a look at http://la.causeuse.org/hauke/macbsd/xdm/ and see if
that helps. It's not finished yet, information about remote X clients is
still missing.

Feedback is welcome.

(The page is hosted on a IIsi, so don't slashdot it  ;)

>I've toyed with the idea of cleaning up the mac68k FAQs

That is a very good idea!

>now that I'm
>(mostly) done with the A/UX one, so anything that can be done (like your
>xdm writeup) in such a way as to be directly included would be GREAT.
>I'll probably end up reading the last 5 years worth of this list's
>archives to get the FAQ up to date.

You'll be NetBSD/mac68k savvy by then.  ;)

	hauke