Subject: Re: console messages in X screwing up the screen
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/17/2006 23:53:49
Hauke Fath wrote:
> At 18:42 Uhr -0500 16.5.2006, Tim & Alethea Larson wrote:
>> thelarsons3@cox.net wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> (Tim, your Thunderbird setup is borken. I get long, unbroken lines here,
> almost unreadable.)

I think that was the webmail, actually.

>> Does nobody bother running X on mac68k?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?
>
> Sure do. Let's see...
>
>>> I'm trying to set up my Mystic CC for use as an X-terminal.  I was reading
>>> 9.18 of the FAQ, which says:
>>>
>>> 9.18  How do I keep console messages from messing up my X screen?
>>> You need to either run xconsole or else run an xterm with the "-C" option.
>>> Even then, you need to have the
>>>    options         UCONSOLE
>>> line uncommented in your config file (the GENERIC config is set up this
>>> way). Due to a bug in xconsole, you may also need to have your X startup
>>> scripts chown the console to yourself and make it readable by you.
>>> You can also edit /etc/syslog.conf to redirect syslog output to wherever
>>> you would like it to go.
>
> Do you use startx etc., or do you use xdm? Because the latter executes
> GiveConsole and TakeConsole scripts that make sure you own all the
> important bits after you have logged in. (If you want to set up an X
> terminal, you most likely want xdm.)

I would love to set this machine up with xdm.  It's supposed to be my
color X terminal for all my headless machines.  (At least until I can do
the same with Xnest on my Mac.)  But I want to make sure everything
works first, so I don't lock myself out somehow -- I'm not sure I know
how to set up xdm properly.

> If you log in as an unprivileged user, obviously you cannot change
> ownership of /dev/console. You could probably get away with 'chmod 666
> /dev/console' and/or 'chmod u+s /usr/X11R6/bin/xconsole' for testing.

I will give these a whirl...thanks!

>>> Question 1: my xterm gives the warning "utmp_update: /dev/ttyp0: Is not
>>> owned by you" when I launch it.  The xconsole says "Couldn't open
>>> console".  I installed the aterm package I built on my other box, but when
>>> I try to launch I get "aterm: can't load color ''White'', colorID = 0,
>>> (29)" twice before it aborts.  Are these related?  What is going on?
>>>
>>> Question 2: what is this "config" file it speaks of?  Another page says
>>> this has something to do with how the kernel is compiled?
>
> The text file that defines the kernel configuration, see e.g.
> /usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/conf/GENERIC. The NetBSD.org website has
> information on how to configure and compile a kernel.

Eeek!  Compiling a kernel might be a bit beyond me???

>>> Question 3: how do I chown the console?  Is this something I put in my
>>> personal X scripts, or a system X script, or what?
>
> As I said, if you use xdm, it does that for you. My /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
> script then starts xconsole,
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # $XConsortium: Xsetup_0,v 1.3 93/09/28 14:30:31 gildea Exp $
> # $Id: Xsetup_0.sh,v 1.1 2004/07/18 15:00:18 hauke Exp $
> xhost +localhost
> xconsole -geometry 480x130-0-0 -daemon -notify -verbose -fn fixed -exitOnFail
>
> though I don't know whether the distributed version does this, too.
>
> I can send you my xdm setup as sample, if it helps any.

Please do!  I try to read xdm howtos but much of it is over my head.  A
good example would sure help.  I want to be able to log into itself
(which uses DHCP) and a couple machines at static IPs on my home LAN.
It will be my "show box" too, so if it could discover other machines
when I'm a guest on other LANs as well, that would be a great bonus.

Thanks,
Tim

--
Tim & Alethea