Subject: Re: console messages in X screwing up the screen
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/17/2006 23:43:54
Bruce O'Neel wrote:
> I used to run X on mac 68k but I just ignored the console messages.  Still..

Hard to ignore them when they muck up the display!

> The config file is the kernel config file.  When you do a uname it tells
> you what config file was used.
>
> NetBSD bellinzona 3.0 NetBSD 3.0 (GENERIC) #0: Mon Dec 19 0
>
> In this case this system used GENERIC.
>
> It is possible that UCONSOLE is not turned on anymore.  You can see what your
> kernel config file was by typing:
>
> strings /netbsd | grep _CFG_
>
> and then look for the string UCONSOLE.

Possible, but I'm using 2.1 on another system without these problems.

> Mine starts as follows (for a sparc system):
[snip]

> To have the X startup scripts chown the console would probably require that you be
> root.  What you want is
>
> chown youruserid /dev/console
>
> but you can most likely only do that as root.

And it would likely complain if another user were to start X, right?

> I've never used aterm.

I like the semi-transparent windows...at least when feh works to paint a
picture on the root window.

> Probably better would be to change syslog.conf so it didn't try to print to
> the console.  OTOH, you might lose that key message that explained why it crashed.
>
> The key line would be something like:
>
> *.err;kern.*;auth.notice;authpriv.none;mail.crit        /dev/console

What exactly is syslog.conf doing?  I understand this line must be
making certain types of things output to /dev/console, but I don't
understand what/why/how.

> Change that /dev/console to something else, say /var/log/messages.

So it's possible to make it output to a file rather than /dev/console?
That would be great...I could capture the errors for posterity (if
necessary) that way!  Do I need to restart for this to take effect?

Thanks!  This is even better than using xconsole, IMO.

Tim

--
Tim & Alethea
christtrek.org