Subject: Re: console messages in X screwing up the screen
To: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/17/2006 21:05:42
At 18:42 Uhr -0500 16.5.2006, Tim & Alethea Larson wrote:
>thelarsons3@cox.net wrote:

[snip]

(Tim, your Thunderbird setup is borken. I get long, unbroken lines here,
almost unreadable.)

>Does nobody bother running X on mac68k?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?

Sure do. Let's see...

>>I'm trying to set up my Mystic CC for use as an X-terminal.  I was reading
>>9.18 of the FAQ, which says:
>>
>>9.18  How do I keep console messages from messing up my X screen?
>>You need to either run xconsole or else run an xterm with the "-C" option.
>>Even then, you need to have the
>>    options         UCONSOLE
>>line uncommented in your config file (the GENERIC config is set up this
>>way). Due to a bug in xconsole, you may also need to have your X startup
>>scripts chown the console to yourself and make it readable by you.
>>You can also edit /etc/syslog.conf to redirect syslog output to wherever
>>you would like it to go.

Do you use startx etc., or do you use xdm? Because the latter executes
GiveConsole and TakeConsole scripts that make sure you own all the
important bits after you have logged in. (If you want to set up an X
terminal, you most likely want xdm.)

If you log in as an unprivileged user, obviously you cannot change
ownership of /dev/console. You could probably get away with 'chmod 666
/dev/console' and/or 'chmod u+s /usr/X11R6/bin/xconsole' for testing.

>>Question 1: my xterm gives the warning "utmp_update: /dev/ttyp0: Is not
>>owned by you" when I launch it.  The xconsole says "Couldn't open
>>console".  I installed the aterm package I built on my other box, but when
>>I try to launch I get "aterm: can't load color ''White'', colorID = 0,
>>(29)" twice before it aborts.  Are these related?  What is going on?
>>
>>Question 2: what is this "config" file it speaks of?  Another page says
>>this has something to do with how the kernel is compiled?

The text file that defines the kernel configuration, see e.g.
/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/conf/GENERIC. The NetBSD.org website has
information on how to configure and compile a kernel.

>>Question 3: how do I chown the console?  Is this something I put in my
>>personal X scripts, or a system X script, or what?

As I said, if you use xdm, it does that for you. My /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
script then starts xconsole,

#!/bin/sh
#
# $XConsortium: Xsetup_0,v 1.3 93/09/28 14:30:31 gildea Exp $
# $Id: Xsetup_0.sh,v 1.1 2004/07/18 15:00:18 hauke Exp $
xhost +localhost
xconsole -geometry 480x130-0-0 -daemon -notify -verbose -fn fixed -exitOnFail

though I don't know whether the distributed version does this, too.

I can send you my xdm setup as sample, if it helps any.

	hauke