Subject: Re: console messages in X screwing up the screen
To: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
From: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/17/2006 14:48:28
Hi,

I used to run X on mac 68k but I just ignored the console messages.  Still..

The config file is the kernel config file.  When you do a uname it tells
you what config file was used.

NetBSD bellinzona 3.0 NetBSD 3.0 (GENERIC) #0: Mon Dec 19 0

In this case this system used GENERIC.

It is possible that UCONSOLE is not turned on anymore.  You can see what your
kernel config file was by typing:

strings /netbsd | grep _CFG_

and then look for the string UCONSOLE.

Mine starts as follows (for a sparc system):

_CFG_### START CONFIG FILE "GENERIC"
_CFG_# $NetBSD: GENERIC,v 1.169.4.2 2005/08/14 21:14:04 riz Exp $
_CFG_#
_CFG_# GENERIC machine description file
_CFG_#
_CFG_# This machine description file is used to generate the default NetBSD
_CFG_# kernel.  The generic kernel does not include all options, subsystems
_CFG_# and device drivers, but should be useful for most applications.
_CFG_#
_CFG_# The machine description file can be customised for your specific
_CFG_# machine to reduce the kernel size and improve its performance.
_CFG_#
_CFG_# For further information on compiling NetBSD kernels, see the config(8)
_CFG_# man page.
_CFG_#
_CFG_# For further information on hardware support for this architecture, see
_CFG_# the intro(4) man page.  For further information about kernel options
_CFG_# for this architecture, see the options(4) man page.  For an explanation
_CFG_# of each device driver in this file see the section 4 man page for the
_CFG_# device.
_CFG_
_CFG_include \011"arch/sparc/conf/std.sparc"
_CFG_
_CFG_options \011INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE\011# embed config file in kernel binary
_CFG_
_CFG_#ident \011\011"GENERIC-$Revision: 1.169.4.2 $"
_CFG_
_CFG_maxusers\01132

To have the X startup scripts chown the console would probably require that you be
root.  What you want is

chown youruserid /dev/console

but you can most likely only do that as root.

I've never used aterm.

Probably better would be to change syslog.conf so it didn't try to print to
the console.  OTOH, you might lose that key message that explained why it crashed.

The key line would be something like:

*.err;kern.*;auth.notice;authpriv.none;mail.crit        /dev/console

Change that /dev/console to something else, say /var/log/messages.

Good luck!

cheers

bruce

--