Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD 2.1 on Quadra 950
To: Gheorghe Ardelean <ardelean@ww.uni-erlangen.de>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/04/2006 23:01:53
At 22:17 Uhr +0200 4.5.2006, Gheorghe Ardelean wrote:

>> tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"         vt100   on secure
>>
>> in /etc/ttys and could log in on serial console as vanilla user, but not as
>> root, in spite of the 'secure'.
>
>The real device node is ttyZ0 (as described in /dev/MAKEDEV) but in this
>case tty00 is just a link to it. See the manual page for zstty(4) also!
>
>The same problem is discussed here:
>http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2005/01/21/0002.html
>http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2005/01/21/0004.html

Ah, okay. Thanks!

>> Could somebody please point me to the motivation of changing the built-in
>> serial ports from tty0{0,1} to ttyZ{0,1}?
>
>I think tty0? used to represent serial devices based on NS16550 (and the
>like) while ttyZ are device nodes for zstty which are based on Zilog 8530.

NetBSD/mac68k had the Zilog 8530 and /dev/tty0{01} for a looong time,
probably at least until 2.0.

>> Why are these new devices not used in /etc/ttys?
>
>Maybe, because the people are often using the normal console (keyboard +
>video/framebuffer) and not the serial ports on mac68k? In
>this case it's hard to find out the missing parts because by
>activating getty on tty00 the serial ports just work (the links are
>correctly made in /dev).

Yep:

[hauke@fattie] /<5>compile/GENERIC > l /dev/tty0?
lrwx------  1 root  wheel  5 May  3 22:35 /dev/tty00 -> ttyZ0
lrwx------  1 root  wheel  5 May  3 22:35 /dev/tty01 -> ttyZ1
[hauke@fattie] /<5>compile/GENERIC >

>> Why is there a surplus of tty devices in /etc/ttys,
>> anyway, which have never been and will never be used?
>
>I think they are there because one can use multiport
>serial cards and needs more ttys (especially on other archs).

There is no driver for a multiport card on mac68k. And since /etc/ttys is
machine-dependent anyway, it should probably be changed. I'll think about a
PR.

	hauke