Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD 2.1 on Quadra 950
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: Steve Byan <stevebyan@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/04/2006 13:54:59
On May 4, 2006, at 10:25 AM, Gheorghe Ardelean wrote:

> On Thu, 4 May 2006, William Duke wrote:
>
>> Have you encountered any problems with running NetBSD on your Quadra
>> 950?   I have a Quadra 950 kicking around here that I might try
>> installing NetBSD on.
>
> Apart from the problem of not getting the login prompt, until I
> have added
> ttyZ0 to /etc/ttys, there were no other problems.

I used a Quadra 950 running 2.1 as a home appletalk server for a
while. Other than periodic panics every few days due to some
assertion in the filesystem code, I had no problems. Something in the
daily cron script seemed to trip the panic, so it wasn't more than an
annoyance because it only happened at 2 in the morning when nothing
was using the machine. I did file a bug report, so the details are
somewhere in the bug database.

I eventually replaced it with a B&W G3 running OS X Server when I
needed more than a 10 Mb/s ethernet and needed support for long file
names.

Anyone on the list want my Q950? It's yours for the cost of shipping,
or pick it up yourself for free.

Regards,
-Steve
--