Subject: Re: NetBSD 3 SCSI broken
To: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/24/2006 01:19:36
Hey,

On Sunday, April 16, 2006, at 10:51 PM, John Klos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After many months of testing things when I've had spare time, I can now
> say definitively that Quadra class machines (605, 650, 800) will
> eventually lock up under heavy SCSI usage. This does not happen under
> NetBSD 1.6.x.
>
> I've tried several different kinds of SCSI drives, with and without
> command queueing, syncronous and asyncronous, the same drives with 1.6
> and 3, and I have two long term test machines which have significant
> uptime with 1.6.x and can be locked up by cvs'ing src and pkgsrc at the
> same time.

I don't experience a lock-up, but something even more nasty: corruption.
I have a IIci which used to run 1.6 netbsd fine and  openbsd 3.3
perfectly fine. Rock-stable. I then put in the hard-drive of my q610
which sadly died but which was rock-stable too, I definitvely miss that
beast!
Anyway, all my attempts to isntall netbsd 2.x or 3.0 (the latest today)
fail, in a bigger or smaller degree there is soemthing unreliable in the
scsi handlign. If I ftp and download a tar.gz it might checksum wrongly
on uncompression ! Once I was able to isntall a semi-usable system and
beside s noticing some strange RAM waste (but other reported that and it
may be solved) usage would suffer HD troubles and unreliable files and
even lock-ups (but I suspect that some binaries uncomrpesed and
installed wrongly, you can't be sure of anything).

unfortunate ly at the moment I don not have another spare HD and also no
t the time to parition, format and install both macos and netbsd on it,
especially since our installer is still broken.

-R